Author Briscoes / Category Recipes / Published: Apr-23-2020
Walnut & coffee cake with vanilla cream
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ingredients200 g unsalted butter
200 g sugar
65 g walnut pieces
200 g plain flour
4 teaspoons instant coffee powder
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
For the vanilla & coffee cream topping1 vanilla pod
350 g icing sugar
180 g unsalted butter, softened
3 teaspoons instant coffee powder
10 walnuts for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the base of two 20 cm loose-bottomed sponge tins with baking parchment.
- Insert the whisk attachment to the dough bowl from Braun’s TributeCollection Kitchen machine KM 3050. Put in the butter and caster sugar and beat until light, pale and fluffy. Start at low speed and then gradually move up to high speed. While the motor is running, simply put the eggs into the bowl through the filling tube.
- Gently mix the flour and baking powder into the butter and sugar mixture on low speed – by again using the filling tube, which lets you see how your ingredients are being processed.
- Dissolve the coffee granules in a tablespoon of boiling water, then stir into the mixture.
- Attach the food processor bowl with its chopping insert to the kitchen machine and put the walnuts in. Chop the walnuts on a high speed for only a few seconds, and then fold them gently in the dough with a wooden spoon.
- Divide the cake mixture between the two tins, smooth the top lightly and bake for 20 to 25 minutes - a skewer inserted inside should come out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- For the topping and filling, re-use the cleaned dough bowl, put in the icing sugar and blend on medium speed until it is lump free. Add the butter and process to make a smooth icing. Dissolve the instant espresso powder in 1 tablespoon boiling water and add it to the mixture while still hot through the filling tube and blend to a smooth cream.
- Spread half the coffee cream over one of the cake halves and sandwich the cakes together. Smooth the remaining coffee cream over the top and garnish with walnuts.
ONE OF THE GREATEST THINGS ABOUT BEING A GROWN UP IS EATING CAKE AND DRINKING COFFEE FOR BREAKFAST WITHOUT NEEDING TO ASK FOR PERMISSION
— Wise Person